December 2021 Hospitality Grant

Following an announcement on 21/12/2021 – The chancellor has set out measures to help England’s hospitality sector as it struggles with a collapse in bookings sparked by the rise in Covid cases.

A £1bn fund including cash grants of up to £6,000 will be available for businesses who have been impacted by the Omicron variant.

Hospitality and leisure grants due to Omicron

These are one-off grants to support businesses in the hospitality, leisure and accommodation sectors that offer in-person services that may be suffering hardship due to the Omicron variant.


The grant is available to hospitality, leisure and accommodation businesses that were trading and registered for business rates on Thursday 30 December 2021.

Examples of the types of business that will qualify include:

  • Hospitality: restaurants, cafes, public houses/pub restaurants, food courts, roadside restaurants, wine bars.
  • Leisure: cinemas, museums and art galleries, theatres, wedding venues, events venues, night clubs and discotheques, arenas, concert halls, soft play centres/areas, amusement arcades, amusement parks, theme parks, tourist attractions, stately homes and historic homes, zoos and farm parks, casinos and gambling clubs, indoor riding centres, clubs and institutions, village halls and scout/cadet huts.
  • Accommodation: hotels, B&Bs, holiday apartments/cottages/bungalows, guest houses, hostels, lodges, holiday homes, catered holiday homes, boarding houses, coaching inns, country house hotels, chalet parks, caravan parks/sites/pitches, campsites, canal boats/other vessels.

How much you’ll receive

The grants are per premises and the amount paid is varied by rateable value (RV) of each eligible premises, in three bands:

  • RV £0 to £15,000 – a grant of £2667
  • RV £15,000 to £51,000 – a grant of £4000
  • RV over £51,000 – a grant of £6000

How to apply

If you think you qualify for a grant you can apply by filling in our online form below. We may make some automatic payments to businesses, but don’t assume if you’ve previously been paid automatically that you also will on this occasion – please fill in the application form below.

In the form you’ll need to tell us:

  • details of the business
  • business rates reference number (this is on your business rates bill)
  • bank account details where the payment should be sent
  • one of the following:
    • company reference number
    • National Insurance number
    • registered charity number
    • self-assessment/partnership number
    • taxpayer reference number
    • VAT registration number

After submitting your application we’ll check your eligibility for the grant. If you’re eligible you should receive the payment within seven to 10 working days. Please don’t contact us to chase a payment until at least 10 working days have passed, as this will delay the process.

The scheme closes to new applications on Monday 28 February 2022, with final payments to be made by Thursday 31 March 2022.

Further support:

  • Government will also cover the cost of Statutory Sick Pay for Covid-related absences for small and medium-sized employers across the UK
  • £30 million further funding will be made available through the Culture Recovery Fund, enabling more cultural organisations in England to apply for support during the winter

Covid Restrictions

The government has announced that England will move to Plan B in response to the risks of the Omicron variant.

This means:

  • From 10 December, face coverings will be required by law in most indoor settings. See a full list of places where you must wear a face covering.
  • From 13 December office workers who can work from home should do so.
  • From 15 December, certain venues and events will be required by law to check that all visitors aged 18 years or over are fully vaccinated, have proof of a negative test in the last 48 hours, or have an exemption.

The use of the NHS COVID Pass is required as a condition of entry into the following places:

  • nightclubs, dancehalls and discotheques;
  • other late night dance venues. These are any other venues that are:
  • open between 1am and 5am;
  • serve alcohol during this time;
  • have a dancefloor (or designated space for dancing); and
  • provide music, whether live or recorded, for dancing.
  • indoor events with 500 or more unseated attendees, where those attendees are likely to stand or move around for all or part of the event, such as music venues with standing audiences or large receptions;
  • outdoor events with 4,000 or more unseated attendees, where those attendees are likely to stand or move around for all or part of the event, such as outdoor festivals; and
  • any events with 10,000 or more attendees indoor or outdoor, such as large sports and music events

There are some settings that will be exempt from requirements to use the NHS COVID Pass including communal worship, wedding ceremonies, funerals and other commemorative events, protests, and mass participation sporting events.

The working safely guidance has been updated to reflect the new measures that came into effect on 30 November.

The Working Safely Business Toolkit is now available to download on the CRC to help aid in your working safely communications to businesses.

Help remind customers with our downloadable posters here.


Will I be taxed on any Covid-19 payments I have received?

Grants and payments from schemes to support business and self-employed individuals during coronavirus (COVID-19) are taxable. To find out if you need to include a COVID-19 grant or support payment on your tax return if you are self-employed or a partner in a business visit:

Where can I find information on the grants I have received?

During the Covid-19 pandemic a number of grant payments were made to different businesses who had applied and met the deadlines for applications. Some payments were made automatically to businesses who had already applied and continued to meet the eligibility criteria.

As the deadlines for applications have now passed, you are unable to backdate any missing Covid-19 payments currently.

However, please do speak to us if you would like to understand what payments you received during the Covid-19 lockdown periods or a breakdown of payments.

Can I have more information on workplace Coronavirus testing?

You can no longer order free rapid lateral flow tests for your employees. Instead, you can buy your own tests and set up your own workplace testing or pay an approved supplier to provide tests or run a test site for you.

If you cannot provide this, you can ask your employees to get a rapid lateral flow test at home or visit a test site. For more information on the testing options available in Barnsley please visit:

I am unsure of what I need to do to comply with current Covid-19 safety requirements?

If your business involves working within close contact of others or customers, then it is important you are aware of the measures that need to be in place to comply with COVID-19 safety requirements.

If you need to seek guidance for working safely in close contact services, or completing risk assessments then please visit:

Am I still eligible for the coronavirus Bounce Back Loan?

The Bounce Back Loan Scheme (BLLS) enabled smaller businesses to access finance more quickly during the coronavirus outbreak. The Bounce Back Loan Scheme has now closed to new applications and top-up applications as of the 31st March 2021.

Am I entitled to the test and trace payment?

The test and trace payment is a one-off payment to help people who are required to isolate, and as a result, cannot work and would lose income.

You could be entitled to the one-off payment of £500 if:

  • you have tested positive for COVID-19 and you cannot do your job from home.
  • a young person you need to provide care for has tested positive for COVID-19, and you cannot do your job from home.
  • you have been identified as a close contact by NHS Test and Trace or the COVID-19 app, haven’t had both doses of your COVID-19 vaccine, and cannot do your job from home.
  • a young person that you need to provide care for (aged between 18 and 25 with an EHC plan in place) has been identified as a close contact, hasn’t had both doses of their COVID-19 vaccine, and you cannot do your job from home.

This scheme is available until Thursday 31 March 2022. Claims can be made up to 42 days from the first day of isolation.

If you have been told to isolate by the NHS COVID-19 app and are not double vaccinated, you’ll need to take steps before applying for the scheme. Please find more information about this scheme here:

Sign up to receive our newsletter.

Keep up to date with news and information from Enterprising Barnsley.
* indicates required

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Enterprising Barnsley:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.