Driving abroad on holiday

You need your Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence to drive abroad on holiday.

You can use:

Check if you need an international driving permit (IDP)

You might also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some non-EU countries. Check if you need an IDP.

Don’t apply for an IDP if you’re moving abroad. You need to get a local driving licence instead.

Driving in Europe after Brexit

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, you might also need an IDP to drive in all EU and European Economic Area (EEA) countries, apart from Ireland. Check if you’ll need an IDP.

Driving in the Republic of Ireland

You can drive in the Republic of Ireland if you have either:

  • a UK driving licence
  • a foreign driving licence, but you usually live in the UK

If you’re banned (disqualified) from driving while in the Republic of Ireland, you might also be banned from driving in the UK.

Advice on driving in specific countries

The AA has advice on driving in specific countries, including information on compulsory equipment.

Sign up to receive our newsletter.

Keep up to date with news and information from Enterprising Barnsley.
* indicates required

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from Enterprising Barnsley:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here.