Managing your export development can be effective and efficient when you’re working with the right partner. By establishing a valuable network overseas, you’ll have access to local contacts who have experience and understanding of the market. This is a good way to keep your international business growing and running smoothly.
In this workshop with Simon Bedford and the Department for International Trade (DIT), we will look at routes to markets, establishing overseas contacts and explore the benefits of using agents and distributors. This workshop will provide both new and experienced exporters with the practical knowledge for sourcing contacts internationally, as well as negotiating terms and managing a relationship with newly formed agents or distributors. We will also discuss the practical issues of monitoring, motivating, and evaluating their performance, and the importance of supporting your partner to ensure the best results.
In this half-day workshop, we will cover:
- How to find useful contacts overseas including international embassies and Chambers of Commerce
- The benefits of working with a partner based overseas
- How to choose your ideal agent or distributor and when to appoint them
- What role does a partner have in improving your international business
- How to keep your partners focused and motivated on your objectives
- DIT support and how to access the Exporting for Growth grant programme
After this workshop you will be able to:
- Feel confident sourcing and working with overseas business contacts
- Decide whether a partner, agent or distributor is right for you
- Choose and appoint your partner at the right time
- Fully understand the role they play within your business
- Support your partner to encourage the best results
- Enquire about DIT support and the Exporting for Growth grant programme
About the speaker:
Simon Bedford has worked on contract for the Department for International Trade and prior to that UKTI for over 12 years. In this time Simon has worked with more than 1000 companies discussing the company’s strategy, assessing the appropriate “route to market” options and supporting their developments.
During this period Simon has co-written a range of guides for DIT and his book “Exporting Made Easy” is a practical guide to selling overseas through agents and distributors.
Simon has in-depth knowledge of a wide range of markets from Europe and the USA, to the Middle East and South East Asia. He worked for many years in the international division of a Belgian multinational.
Simon is an Associate Lecturer in International Business and Marketing at Sheffield Hallam University
Read more Read less