As COVID -19 case numbers are rising rapidly across the country the Prime Minister announced that from Thursday 5 November 2020 until Wednesday 2 December restrictions are to be imposed across the country. The government has ordered that certain businesses and venues are to close. These include:
- All non-essential retail, including, but not limited to clothing and electronics stores, vehicle showrooms, travel agents, betting shops, auction houses, tailors, car washes, tobacco and vape shops
- Hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs; with the exception of providing food and drink for takeaway (before 10pm; and not including alcohol), click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery
- Indoor and outdoor leisure facilities such as bowling alleys, leisure centre and gyms, sports facilities including swimming pools, golf courses and driving ranges, dance studios, stables and riding centres, soft play facilities, climbing walls and climbing centres, archery and shooting ranges, water and theme parks
- Entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, adult gaming centres and arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, concert halls, zoos and other animal attractions, botanical gardens;
- Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty and nail salons, tattoo parlours, spars, massage parlours, body and skin piercing serviced, non-medical acupuncture and tanning salons.
A full list will be provided by Government in the coming days.
Financial support will be made available to businesses affected by the closures and will be in line with the Local Restrictions Support Grants scheme which has been introduced to support businesses that have been forced to close in Tier 3 areas.
How to qualify
Although we are yet to receive full guidance, we have assumed that to qualify for a grants your business must been:
- Open as usual before any restrictions
- Registered for business rates at the premises on 31 October 2020
- Required to close down due to the restrictions imposed by government
The criteria may be updated if new details are received.
How much will I receive?
The payment amount will depends on the rateable value of the property as in the table below. The payment will cover the full 4 weeks from 5 November to 2 December. Payments will be made as follows:
|Rateable value of the premise||Grant payment per 4 weeks|
|£15,000 or under||£1334|
|£15,001 to £50,999||£2000|
|£51,000 or over||£3000|
There will also be a Discretionary Fund for businesses that don’t have a Business Rates account, we are awaiting further guidance but it’s likely a Local Discretionary Scheme will be in place. If you don’t not have a Business Rates account but your business has closed and you wish to be considered for a grant, please complete the application below and we will contact you when more details of the scheme are known.
Do I need to apply?
You do not need to apply if you received a payment of £10,000 or £25,000 from the original grant schemes. Where is it possible we will automatically attempt to make a payment to you without the need for an application form. However, you must still be registered for Business rates, you must not have changed your bank details and we must be able to identify that the businesses has had to close.
You do not need to apply if you have received Tier 3 payment in the last 7 days do not need to reapply. We will automatically issue a payment to you to cover any remaining periods at the end of the initial 4 week payment.
You do need to apply if it is not clear from your business rates account what the business is. For example, your property is registered as a ‘Shop and Premises’ and the bill is in your individual name which means that it might not be clear what you do and if you have had to close. If you are in any doubt, please complete the application form below.
You do need to apply if the Business premises has a rateable value of above £51,000 as you did not qualify for a grant under the original scheme and we do not hold payment details. These businesses will need to complete the application below
You do need to apply if you are a new business that opened since 11 March 2020. You will need to complete the application form below.
You do need to apply if you are unsure if any of the above apply to you.